View Through the Lens Scotland
Facebook Group Rules and Guidelines
If you’re reading this then it means you’ve joined our Facebook community, so welcome and thank you for choosing to join us! 😀
I often refer to our group as a ‘small group’ and that’s because it is, and I like it that way. VTLS is not a group for showing off or getting hundreds of likes, although, likes are still important to us. I created the group to celebrate our magnificent country and everything it has to offer, it’s about inspiring others. As well as encouraging our member’s to post their images and videos of Scotland, I really want to see people engaging in conversation, offering constructive comments and generally making new friends. VTLS should be more than a Facebook group, I want it to be a strong community where members feel encouraged and supported whilst on their photography journey no matter where their from.
I hope we’re the right group for you and you gain something from being a part of it. By joining us you’re agreeing to participate, to post, comment and like. We’re still human and a little gratification goes a long way. 😊
To keep everything straight forward and keep us all on the same page I’ve got some group rules that I’d kindly ask you all to follow. Please take a few minutes to read over the rules below and if you’ve any questions you’re welcome to get in contact with myself or one of the Moderators.
Again, thank you for wanting to join our little community and I really look forward to seeing your images and getting to know each of you.
Creating an open and welcoming community for all
- We’re all unique and at different stages of our photographic journey so please keep this in mind and treat everyone with kindness and respect.
- Healthy debates are natural but we won’t tolerate any sort of nastiness or negativity from our members, those posts will be removed and potentially, so may you be.
- The key to a healthy and active community is communication. Don’t be afraid to comment on an image or interact by liking or loving it, but only if you actually do!
- Please don’t discuss any subject that could cause friction or upset. We appreciate many of you will be passionate about certain subjects and may feel the need to discuss your thoughts and opinions, however, VTLS isn’t the place to do it.
Privacy & Copyright
- Being part of this group requires it’s members to have a mutual trust. Authentic, expressive discussions can make a group great, but sometimes conversations can be sensitive and private. What’s shared in the group should stay in the group.
- Please remember, any images that are added to this group will always remain the property of their owner & no one else may ever take, copy or sell without permission from the owner of the image. I know some of you may want to share the images with other groups, however, please ask before choosing to share elsewhere.
What can I post?
- The group is all about celebrating Scotland. Photographs, video & artwork depicting Scotland are allowed. If you want to share anything that’s not your own work, please, ensure you’ve got permission and remember to credit the creator.
- If you’re considering adding 10 images or more, please create an album with the name of the place as a title.
- We’re not monsters, you’re welcome to share an image from your own personal Facebook page or you’re own photography page but, please, no promoting the page. Please ensure any privacy settings have been adjusted so all ‘non-friends’ can see your hard work. We’d also ask you not to share or promote any other photography groups.
- We don’t allow the promotion of any services, no selling products or images, no spam and no irrelevant or dead links.
- I know many of you will wish to watermark your images and that’s completely fine, however, please, consider the size of the watermark. Having it cover the majority of the image or detracting from the image itself spoils it for everyone. Think of the size, shape and transparency of any watermarks.
- Due to various themes, you may feel the need to repost an image you’ve previously posted and that’s okay. Remember though, you’re camera is designed to be used, not sit in the bag forgotten and lonely 🙂
- When posting please consider the image. We would discourage any image where the ‘main subject’ is political or football-related or any other subject that could offend, this includes partial/full nudity.
- If you’ve any camera equipment for sale you’re welcome to post it in the group, however, please note, Admin will switch off commenting on the post. Please ensure you state all conversation must be done through private message. Sales posts should not be repeated. The group itself takes nothing to do with private sales and Admin will not get involved in any disputes.
- When posting, it would be appreciated if you could use the “Check-in” function so other members can easily locate the place should they wish to visit. If you don’t want to check in, please include the name/location in the title of the post.
- Throughout the week we have various themes, these are intended to help our members improve their creativity and try something new. Themes are kept in the “Announcements” section of the page along with anything else that may be of interest to the group.
- The winner of our monthly theme has their image shown as the groups banner for the following month. To fit your image into the banner, it may have to be cropped or manipulated slightly.
- All themes have a relevant hashtag that we’d ask you to use when posting. Failure to use it will mean it won’t be included, no matter how good it is.
- All themes except the monthly theme can be from anywhere in the world, unless stated, they’re not restricted to Scotland.
- When posting for the monthly theme, please only post one image at a time with the hashtag. If you post multiple images and your post wins, there’s no way for us to be able to identify which image won it for you, therefore, we won’t count it, sorry.
- Please also remember, the monthly theme is based on the total post interactions, likes, love etc. It is really important that if you enjoy an image you like it.
- The group have been known to meet up on occasion. Any meet up’s or events will be added to the “Events” tab along with details of the event and times.
- If any member of the group is heading out for a bit of photography and they’re willing to open it up to other members then we’d ask you to create an ‘event’. Please include details of where you will meet, the time and the aim of the meet. If you can, please, add a link to a map showing the location too. If anybody needs help with this just message me, I’m happy to set the meet up for you and manage it too, it’s no problem.
- If any members are meeting up, we’d encourage you to think safely. The group can be a source for like-minded individuals but you must always let others know where you’re going and who with.
- If any event is arranged by the group or on behalf of the group, please be aware that these meets are intended to be meet-ups between friends or like-minded individuals. We will decide on the date, time and location but getting to the location is your responsibility as is any cost incurred. The group have no funds or insurance and will not pay or reimburse any costs that you may have incurred.
Admin and Moderators
- If all the rules are adhered to and we all play nice then we shouldn’t have any problems. However, if anyone feels the need to raise anything with one of the team then we’ll look into it. We’ll be open and honest and we ask you to be the same. Admin reserves the right to restrict &/or remove any post deemed unfit for this group. Where possible we’ll try to speak with the individual to discuss the issue if we feel it’s necessary.
- If you block an Admin or Moderator then you’ll have to leave the group. It’s important we’re able to see everything that’s going on and we’re able to look after all group members.
- Admin decisions are final.
We know reading the rules isn’t fun but it’s needed to ensure we’ve got a safe and happy group so thank you very much for taking the time to go through it all. Please, if you’ve any questions or feel something’s missing or you just need clarification, get in contact with us.
Thank you again for joining and being involved.
Angie, Jim and Paul